Monday, October 10, 2011

Duncan Phyfe Buffet



This project has caused many a fit over the last few weeks! I sanded, I primed, I painted. Then I ran out of paint. I had to wait over a week before we could afford to buy some more. Then we nicked it all up moving into the house because this thing is a beast. Fixed all that. Found drawer liner that I loved, didn't have enough. Couldn't find another roll in any store to save my life. Decided to go with a different liner. Finally finished and spraying on a clear, protective coat. I grab the "matte" finish, which was fine for the body of this guy. Not fine for the restained, shiny top piece. Luckily, I still had a small can of poly. So after a few more coats, I think I am finally done. Or as done as I'm going to get it. I have a bazillion projects to get going and this one has consumed to much of my time! I absolutely love how it turned out tho.

A little history on this buffet. It belonged to my grandparents. They bought it (along with a whole dining set that I wish they had kept!) when my mom was a little girl. That puts this piece somewhere between 50-60 years old! I love antiques. Especially great ones like this. This guy had gotten pretty beat up over the years, but is still a solid, heavy piece of furniture. I didn't attempt to fix many of the dings and chips. I think it would take away from it's history to cover all those up! I just simply gave him a new coat of paint.






6 comments:

WhyCuzICan said...

Another lovely redo, Holly!

Smiles,
Suzanne in NW IL
your follower

Cassie Bustamante said...

so pretty holly! i love that bright blue!

Courtney said...

Oh wow, you even painted the inside!! No wonder you're over it!!
Great job Holly, be proud of yourself it's awesome!!
Love the history too! I have a sideboard that was my great-grandparents, yet to decide if to paint or not, tough call!

Ms. A said...

Love love love this shade of blue! I'm a new follower and I nominated you for a versatile blogger award over at Between the Rafters. Please stop by and see who else got the award and maybe become my newest follower! Thanks! Amanda

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Love the shade of blue you chose and love that you left the top stained! What a beautiful piece!! I host a weekend decorating party at my blog (going on right now) if you would like to come share sometime! :)

Decor & Harmony said...

STUNNING!!!GORGEOUS!!!DYNAMITE!!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes