Monday, November 7, 2011

Cedar Chest Project


I've had this chest sitting in my craft room for months. I couldn't decide how I wanted to re do it. The top was cracked half way down the middle, so I knew I would have to paint it instead of just restaining. Because of this, I used it as a stand to paint multiple other items, so the before ended up looking something like this.


You can see the huge crack that I wood filled and filled and filled. M rigged up the inside with some extra support so it isn't pulling apart any time soon! I used Rustoleum Spray Paint in Winter's Gray and a bright White. I had every intention of selling this piece but after I was finished I talked myself into keeping it. It was the perfect size to fit at the end of our bed. In these after pictures, ignore the mess of a bed behind it. Today was laundry day and my bed stayed covered with clothes the whole time. Actually it still is..





I can't decide if I should distress it or not. I still haven't put a protective coat on it, so I keep a blanket over it to keep the dogs from scratching it up. What do you think? Distress or no?


LINKING UP @ The DIY Home Sweet Home Project, Three Boys, DIY by Design, Primitive & Proper, Miss Mustard Seed, Designer Garden

8 comments:

WhyCuzICan said...

Hi Holly :) Saw you at the linky party today (diyhshp)... niceeee!

I looked on my dashboard last night to see if you had something new, and here you are, partying it up !! Right on :D

Thought of you today,
Suzanne in NW Illinois

WhyCuzICan said...

Forgot to add- nawww, don't distress (just my thought)

christy lou...who? said...

luvs it as-is! don't distress! :)

Cassie Bustamante said...

ok, looks like i am going against the grain but i think i would love it distressed. i love it now, but i think the distressing would make it even better!

Marian said...

What a great idea, I have a similar cedar chest and I have used it as a coffee table and stored games in it. The downside was that it didn't match the other furniture so you are an inspiration.
I like your chest as it is but if it shows a lot of natural distressing I would distress it. Also, does it go with the other furniture in the room?

Holly in Wonderland said...

Thank ya'll for all the nice comments!

@ Marian - It does have some dents and bumps in it, which is why I thought of distressing. To just accentuate the age of the chest. As of now it doesn't match the other furniture, but I do plan to paint my other pieces with the gray color.. one of these days. haha It's a slow process.

WhyCuzICan said...

Peeking in again to see your lovely piece, Holly ;)


Thanks for sharing :)
Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed's linky party,
Smiles,
Suzanne at WhyCuzICan

Sommer said...

I love it! The color is exceptional and love stripes. I am also your newest follower! I would be honored to have you link this up to my VIP party today =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/11/vip-party-36.html

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes